Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cluster Instance Naming

I have a 2 node cluster - may be grown to more node ... would like to
install 4 instances, to separate databases by SLA's and workload priority
....
What are suggested naming conventions ?
I have
DBINST1 - instance 1
DBINST2\I2 - instance 2
DBINST3\I3 - instance 3
DBINST4\I4 - instance 4
Servers are 8CPU, 16GB RAM each
Just to keep things consistant, I only use Named Instances on a cluster.
Geoff N. Hiten
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Senior Database Administrator
CareerBuilder.com
"Seme Rollansa" <bukusu@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uietPVC%23FHA.1988@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have a 2 node cluster - may be grown to more node ... would like to
>install 4 instances, to separate databases by SLA's and workload priority
>...
> What are suggested naming conventions ?
> I have
> DBINST1 - instance 1
> DBINST2\I2 - instance 2
> DBINST3\I3 - instance 3
> DBINST4\I4 - instance 4
> Servers are 8CPU, 16GB RAM each
>
>
|||We usually keep the default instance around just incase there are systems
out there that can not connect to a Named Instance--and there are.
As far as naming conventions go, you have virtual server names that should
follow your organization's internal server name policies, regardless of SQL
Server, then the instance names should distinguish themselves.
Two schools of thought here. One is to keep the names meaningless other
than some sort of ordering convention as you've indicated as a security
precautions. The other school of thought recommends a meaningful name that
would connote the use of the system.
In either case, as Geoff suggests, keep it consistent.
Take your pick.
Sincerely,
Anthony Thomas

"Geoff N. Hiten" <SQLCraftsman@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:usi761Q%23FHA.916@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Just to keep things consistant, I only use Named Instances on a cluster.
> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
> Senior Database Administrator
> CareerBuilder.com
> "Seme Rollansa" <bukusu@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uietPVC%23FHA.1988@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
sqlsql

No comments:

Post a Comment