Friday, February 24, 2012

Clients being disconnected periodically over WAN

Some background information. I have a Windows 2003 Server that is also
running SQL 2000 on network "172.16.30.0". I have a remote facility,
"172.16.20.0", that is connected by WAN with a full T1 line. When the remot
e
users login to our SQL application the server creates a routing statement fo
r
each user's machine. If I do a "route print" statement I see the static
routes for the facility, "172.16.20.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.30.11" under both
Active and Persistent routes. I also see the IP addresses of the remote
computers under Active Routes. For some reason the remote users are being
disconnected from the SQL application but their IP addresses still remain
under Active Routes. They cannot log back into the SQL application until I
manually delete their routes from the SQL Server. Once this is done they ca
n
successful log back into the SQL application. Is the server suppose to keep
track of remote machine routing connections? We migrated from Frame Relay t
o
VPN connectivity and I do not recall seing each remote user's IP address
within the "Route Print" statement previously.Not my usual turf, but since no one else responded, I'll put my foot in my
mouth.
I think you have a network issue, not a database issue. It sounds like
youhave a timeout in TCP/IP (or whatever) that is doing the disconnect. I
have not seen SS drop a user or prevent one from logging in (assuming valid
userid, etc), even multiple connections from the same place.
I know there are several places that timeout could be, so someone with more
of a networks background will have to help you point your shotgun.
--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CCP,CDP
"Bill Freeze" wrote:

> Some background information. I have a Windows 2003 Server that is also
> running SQL 2000 on network "172.16.30.0". I have a remote facility,
> "172.16.20.0", that is connected by WAN with a full T1 line. When the rem
ote
> users login to our SQL application the server creates a routing statement
for
> each user's machine. If I do a "route print" statement I see the static
> routes for the facility, "172.16.20.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.30.11" under bo
th
> Active and Persistent routes. I also see the IP addresses of the remote
> computers under Active Routes. For some reason the remote users are being
> disconnected from the SQL application but their IP addresses still remain
> under Active Routes. They cannot log back into the SQL application until
I
> manually delete their routes from the SQL Server. Once this is done they
can
> successful log back into the SQL application. Is the server suppose to ke
ep
> track of remote machine routing connections? We migrated from Frame Relay
to
> VPN connectivity and I do not recall seing each remote user's IP address
> within the "Route Print" statement previously.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment