Saturday, February 25, 2012

cloning a db under another name

I have a database called Paris. I want to clone it but I want the new name
to be Milan. I tried creating a new database named Milan and restoring
Paris over it but Management Studio would not allow this. I had overwrite
checked. How can I do this?
Regards,
Gary Blakely"GaryDean" <GaryDean@.newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
news:ewnkrPDlHHA.4772@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I have a database called Paris. I want to clone it but I want the new name
>to be Milan. I tried creating a new database named Milan and restoring
>Paris over it but Management Studio would not allow this. I had overwrite
>checked. How can I do this?
Don't use the GUI.
Personally I wouldn't bother creating Milan but would simply backup Paris
and
RESTORE DATABASE MILAN from disk='c:\paris.bak' etc etc.

> --
> Regards,
> Gary Blakely
>
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!
Email: sql (at) greenms.com http://www.greenms.com/sqlserver.html|||> RESTORE DATABASE MILAN from disk='c:\paris.bak' etc etc.
... and read up on the MOVE option of the RESTORE command.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" <mooregr_deleteth1s@.greenms.com> wrote in message
news:uJ3iLHElHHA.4552@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> "GaryDean" <GaryDean@.newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> news:ewnkrPDlHHA.4772@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Don't use the GUI.
> Personally I wouldn't bother creating Milan but would simply backup Paris
and
> RESTORE DATABASE MILAN from disk='c:\paris.bak' etc etc.
>
>
> --
> Greg Moore
> SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!
> Email: sql (at) greenms.com [url]http://www.greenms.com/sqlserver.html[/ur
l]
>|||Hello Gary,
I agree Tibor that you may want to use Move option since you may want to
use a different path for the database files. You could refer to the
following article for some related information
314546 HOW TO: Move Databases Between Computers That Are Running SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314546
Please let's know if you have any further questions on this issue. Thanks.
Best Regards,
Peter Yang
MCSE2000/2003, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
========================================
=============
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.|||On May 12, 9:24 am, "GaryDean" <GaryD...@.newsgroups.nospam> wrote:
> I have a database called Paris. I want to clone it but I want the new nam
e
> to be Milan. I tried creating a new database named Milan and restoring
> Paris over it but Management Studio would not allow this. I had overwrite
> checked. How can I do this?
> --
> Regards,
> Gary Blakely
Hi. I suggest you copy DB, that's quite straight forward, you can
choose any name from it.|||GaryDean wrote on Fri, 11 May 2007 18:24:07 -0700:

> I have a database called Paris. I want to clone it but I want the new
> name to be Milan. I tried creating a new database named Milan and
> restoring Paris over it but Management Studio would not allow this. I had
> overwrite checked. How can I do this?
>
If you insist on using the GUI to do this, you need to change the filenames
in the Restore As column on the Options page of the restore task. MS is
preventing you from restoring using the previous filenames as this would
overwrite the files for the Paris database.
Dan|||Well, I don't INSIST on using the gui but...
Thanks, that worked great. Now I see what the badly worded error message
was trying to tell me.
Regards,
Gary Blakely
"Daniel Crichton" <msnews@.worldofspack.com> wrote in message
news:OMc3IRjlHHA.4120@.TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> GaryDean wrote on Fri, 11 May 2007 18:24:07 -0700:
>
>
> If you insist on using the GUI to do this, you need to change the
> filenames in the Restore As column on the Options page of the restore
> task. MS is preventing you from restoring using the previous filenames as
> this would overwrite the files for the Paris database.
> Dan
>|||GaryDean wrote on Mon, 14 May 2007 16:11:25 -0700:

> Well, I don't INSIST on using the gui but...
I guess maybe I should have worded it differently. How about "use the GUI as
an alternative"?

> Thanks, that worked great. Now I see what the badly worded error message
> was trying to tell me.
Yeah, it's not that great a message really.
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment